Safe Mercury Removal
Within the natural healthcare community, there are growing concerns about the health hazards of mercury amalgam (silver) materials used in dentistry. Although they are often called “silver fillings,” the actual filling material of a dental amalgam consists of a mixture of over 50% mercury and approximately 30% silver. This mercury component of the dental filling has been scientifically demonstrated to be more toxic that lead, cadmium, or even arsenic, and is the most toxic, non-radioactive substance known to man.
Sadly, mercury amalgam fillings are still a commonly used dental restorative material, despite numerous studies that link mercury, a known neurotoxin (a poison that damages the brain and nerve tissue), to many serious health maladies.
At Natural Smiles Dental Care we understand the concerns about the dangers of mercury, and how they may affect our patients, our environment, and our staff. In order to protect our patients and ourselves from mercury exposure we offer the following equipment and techniques:
- High volume vacuum system that pulls mercury vapors and particles away from the mouth.
- Single tooth isolation and “Isolite” oral protection dam system are used to prevent ingestion and inhalation of vapor and particle size amalgam.
- 100% oxygen is used as an alternative air source (with lavender essential oil blend in the nosepiece).
- Amalgam separators are used to collect the amalgam pieces so they don’t enter municipal water systems.
- After amalgam removal we offer our patients an oral detox rinse with chlorella.
- Our dentists and assistants wear charcoal based dental masks, to prevent exposure to mercury vapors.
- Face drape and body drape are placed over the patient during the procedure.
- Activated charcoal is placed sublingually (under the patient’s tongue) during the procedure.
- Tooth/teeth are insufflated with ozone gas prior to placing the permanent restoration, to promote an anti-microbial environment.
- Vitamin C tablets and detox clay bath formula are sent home with the patient at the end of the appointment.
Our doctors are members of the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology, which has extensively studied the hazards of mercury amalgam fillings. Please visit www.iaomt.org for more information.